Sunday, February 5, 2012

My Psychological Type

      In our books this week, we read two chapters, Chapter 4: Understanding Yourself and Chapter 6: Leading with Integrity and Moral Purpose. Chapter 4 went in to detail about self-knowledge and defining your talents. Chapter 6 talked about ethical standards as a leader and Transforming Leadership Theory.


      As part of "understanding myself", I took Carl Jung's Typology test. I answered the questions and was given: ENFJ. So I have a distinctively expressed Extravert personality (67%), distinctively expressed Intuitive personality (75%), moderately expressed Feeling personality (50%), and slightly expressed Judging personality (1%). 


      I definitely agree with the results I got. I am of the Idealist Temperament and was given the role of "The Teacher." This made me so happy! Here are some of the things that represent my type:


"Good careers: Psychology, Education, Counseling, Management"


"Famous ENFJ's: Pope John Paul II, Barack Obama, Oprah Winfrey, Michael Jordan."


"More so than any other type, they have excellent people skills. They understand and care about people, and have a special talent for bringing out the best in others. ENFJ's main interest in life is giving love, support, and a good time to other people. They are focused on understanding, supporting, and encouraging others. They make things happen for people, and get their best personal satisfaction from this."


      It's amazing how this 72-question test figured me out so well! 


      So, my major is Business-Marketing and I have a minor in Entrepreneurship and a minor in Art History. Though I love what I'm studying, this summer I was an English teacher in Ecuador and I realized that was my true calling. I will most likely get my Masters in Education, because I had such an incredible experience. 


      I taught three classes a day, 20 hours a week. My first class was little kids, 5-9 years old. They were precious. They didn't learn a whole lot of English (most of them were still learning Spanish!), but we had a lot of fun. We played lots of games and I found that songs kept their attention and helped them learn. Here are my little cuties when I meant to take a photo:



My second and third classes of the day were older kids, ages 12-19. They were incredible: smart, funny, and easy to teach. They put up with all my mistakes and made me so happy. They also learned quite a bit of English. Here is a picture of some of my students:
      
       I never thought about being a teacher as a career until this past summer, and I know it sounds cliché, but these kids changed my life. They made teaching so fun; they brought me gifts, played my silly games, did well on evaluations, and treated me with love and respect. We all became friends and I still keep in touch with them.


      I have always felt most comfortable with children. Something about their energy, innocence, and playfulness makes me so happy. They are genuine and non-judgmental; two things I try my hardest to be. I think children can teach us about Ethics. They have a conscious and they go with their gut. If they don't feel good about something, they won't do it. They are role models for what adults should be like.


      Chapter 4 had a quote (pg 120) that I really like. "The most basic life trait that translates to leadership effectiveness is honest, authentic self-awareness that is open to growth, learning, and change."


      I am trying to live by this advice to be a better leader. Maybe this is the E in me, but I truly value being a part of a group, with a mission to do something great. I hope to be a good leader by surrounding myself with optimistic, motivated people and creating an open, accepting environment. I will always try to be better. 


      Leading should be fun, right? That's why I'll most likely end up with children, so I can play games and sing songs all day :)


"Education is the mother of leadership."
Wendell L. Willkie


2 comments:

  1. MG - I love this post! Your experience teaching sounds so amazing. It's crazy how things we never saw ourselves doing can really change our paths completely. I liked the connections you realized between your results, the reading and your experiences. Whatever it is you decide to put your time and energy into, you will do great! You seem to have so much passion and excitement around learning and growing and I hope that is something you always hold onto. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you impacted those kids just as much as they impacted you. I really enojoyed your post! It is really cool how an experience like yours this past summer can leave such a lasting impact. I am not a big kids person, but I totally know what you mean abou their innocence and non-judgementalness. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete